Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Conversation with Aiden

I was emptying the dishwasher at Rebekah's house while 3-yr. old Aiden watched. He looked into an open drawer, reached in and carefully lifted out a plastic stirring spoon and said, "This is for spanking." "Ohhhh," I replied with the utmost seriousness. "Does it ever spank you?" His eyes and chin fell toward the floor as he quietly said, "Yes." "Does it spank anyone else?" "Yes," he said, more brightly. "It spanks Kyla, and Connor and Tyler." I stopped working in order to give him the full attention this conversation deserved. "Wow. This spoon spanks a lot of people," I said, meeting his eyes. "No! They're not people," he retorted with the gravity that only a 3-yr. old who knows what he knows can muster. I decided to have a little fun with him, taking care not to let him catch on that I was teasing, so as not to embarrass him. "Aren't you a people?" I asked. "No." "Oh. Is Kyla a people?" "No." "What is she?" After just a slight hesitation and a quick look across the room as if he were checking in with someone for accuracy, he replied, "She's a sister." "Oh. Is Connor a people?" "No." "What is he?" Another little hesitation, and a slight stumble as if he weren't one hundred percent sure he was about to give the correct answer, but determined enough to stand by his opinion whether or not it was correct. "He's a brother." "Oh. Is Tyler a people?" "No." "Oh. What is he?" "He's a brother. And I'm a brother." "Oh. I see. So there are 3 brothers and one sister who live here. Is that right?" "Yes." "And no people?" "No." "What about Mommy & Daddy? Are they people?" "No." "Daddy's not a people?" "No." "Then what is he?" There was a shadow of uncertainty behind the eyes, and then a shy, "He's a daddy." "Oh. Is Mommy a people?" "No." "Really? Then what is she?" "A mommy." "Oh. I see. So there are no people living in this house?" "No." "Oh. Well I'm glad I know who everybody is now. Thanks for helping me understand." And we went back to emptying the dishwasher.

On the short list of simple pleasures in life, conversations with a 3-yr. old absolutely must be included.

1 comment:

  1. that's hilarious! reminds me of when brooke got offended around that age that i would dare to call her a human. she's not a human, she's a hu-girl!

    ReplyDelete