Sunday, June 6, 2010

What I Want

If I were asked to make a list of all the things in life I want, I wonder what would be on it. Right now I look out the window above my computer and gaze upon the biggest crape myrtle I've ever seen, in full glorious bloom. Behind those luscious flowering branches is a backdrop of more green from neighboring trees - the kind of green that in itself is a soothing balm. And the canvas behind it all is the clear blue of sky that reaches all the way to heaven. My eyes have been blessed to see oceans, mountains, canyons, waterfalls, rainbows, wildlife and even the Great Wall of China, but none of those sights have been more satisfying than this.

At this moment there are background sounds that I can't tune out, nor would I want to. A sleeping dogosaurus on the kitchen floor snores in rhythm with her peaceful breathing, and a daughter and husband chatter and laugh together over a game at the table in the next room. There are symphonies and birdsongs and praise music that bring delight to my ears, but none are more satisfying than this.

We met some good friends at a favorite restaurant for lunch today. The meal was delicious, but no tastier or more satisfying than the meals we enjoy right here at our own table, prepared by our own hands in our own kitchen. The simple grilled chicken, broccoli casserole, Caesar salad and apple pie that graced our table two days ago have never been surpassed by any meal that has passed over my tongue, regardless of the continent or company.

Yesterday morning while taking a walk through the neighborhood I was compelled to stop and inhale the sweetness of a magnolia bloom within reach. Only the day before, I had gone out of my way to get my nose within smelling distance of a hedge of gardenias, breathing in the scent for a few blissful moments. But on occasion, when the air currents are just so, I will catch a gentle whiff of honeysuckle wafting through my backyard. Although I can't see it and don't know how far it has travelled before reaching me, the heavenly perfume stops me in my tracks. Honeysuckle may not be showy or highly sought after as a desirable addition to the home garden, but when its scent passes through, all other perfumes temporarily cease to matter.

Throughout the course of any typical week I will enjoy the hugs of a variety of people, all of whom are special to me in some way. Old friends, new friends, happy friends, sad friends, friends celebrating special events and friends just glad to reconnect. My life would be poorer by far without these friends and their hugs. But the hugs that bring the most satisfaction are the ones that take place under my own roof every day, recommitting ourselves to one another for better or for worse.

So now that I've given it some consideration, I realize I don't need to make that list because everything I want in this life is right here. The only thing that can be better than what I already have is heaven itself.

1 comment:

  1. i love this! some days i can stop & agree with all those sentiments & realize that my life rocks. i have a quote posted up here beside me on the desk that says, "measure your wealth by the things you have that no one could buy at any price." and by that standard, i'm very wealthy indeed.

    ReplyDelete